Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Marriage of Rajumama! Only-fun days!


Really guys! There is nothing more wonderful like a marriage ceremony being held at your home (of course not if  its your!). Been offline lately for last few days to attend and organise marriage ceremony of Raju mama (my mom's cousin brother)! Still can't believe that he is getting married! It seems like just a few days back, when I was in class five or six, I always used to listen his college stories with much interest and surprise. I can tell you he is a wonderful story-teller. Honestly he is one of the simple and genuine human being I have ever known. The day before yesterday we had a ritual called 'Aiburo-vat' in Bengali (literally whose english will be 'Bachelor-Rice', don't know the exact translation because it's a ritual of Indian marriage may be only Bengali marriages), where his mother fed Rajumama last meal being Bachelor.Then started marketing for all the things needed in marriage rituals. I never knew Bengali marriages are so complex and involve so many rituals! 

And yesterday rituals started early morning with 'Gaye-Halud'
where the groom is applied Haldi (Tarmaric) by the elder women of the family. (In pic from left: Rajumama's mother, Rajumama, my Grandma, my mom). Then we took the same haldi with some gifts to Bride's home. Reception was very warm. Got back, and started preparing for the main marriage ritual in the evening. Also bought some fire-crackers. Oh! Forgot to tell you, Bismillah Khan's shehnai (in cd player) was adding a new dimension to the atmosphere. Every moment excitement and tension was rising in the air. 

Then started preparing the groom, and also the little-groom (it's a ritual to prepare a kid in the family just like the groom, who will accompany the groom in the whole marriage.) The little groom was looking real cute! Isn't he? Then we set for the bride's place. Reception was great there, they welcomed us with sweets. Then all the elders from bride's family started giving their blessing to groom one by one. Then all elders from groom's family did the same to bride. I was just watching Rajumama's face, to see what is going on in his mind. And do you think I was sitting there idle, not at all I was busy at leg-pulling the groom. Was feeling great seeing two families being bonded. What I like really about the concept of marriage, that it's not just the bonding of two persons, it's actually a new bonding between two completely stranger family. (I know this creates troubles sometimes, I read 'Two States' by Chetan Bhagat too)
Then started the main ritual of marriage with exchange of garland between the bride and groom. And then taking oath and seven rounds, applying sindoor. Don't know why but I was feeling really great! Seeing the bride and groom happy I felt every preparation and complex ritual was worth. Then had dinner, all the preparations were great, I am not going to tell you otherwise you will beat me for not inviting you. 


You know as I am an online freak, I will be grateful to you if all of you online friends and readers just pray for this newly wed couple for a great happily married life!



blog comments powered by Disqus